Municipality of Minervino di Lecce, Former Elementary School in Specchia Gallone hamlet
Municipality: Minervino di Lecce
Address: Via Lecce 36
Coordinates: 40°05’19.04’’N – 18°24’35.95’’E
Property: Municipality of Minervino di Lecce
Tipology: Former school
Located on the edge of the urban center of Minervino di Lecce, the former primary school is located in the Specchia Gallone hamlet. In the past, the hamlet was a lookout post for defense against enemy invasions. Originally “Specola”, it was later called Specchia and finally the epithet ‘Gallone’ was then added after its feudal lord who in 1618 happened to be Giambattista Gallone. In fact, in the main church, as well as in the Chapel of Sant’Anna, one can see the coat of arms of that family.
The former school in Specchia Gallone hamlet is a property owned by the municipality dating back to the post WWII period. The structure has a direct connection with the hamlet of Cocumola through the roman centuriation system passing by the cave church of Sant’Anna. It sits on an area that let travellers continue their journey on the route for Vaste-Santa Maria di Leuca. The former school has two floors and includes a terrace facing east.
Located on the road that leads from Lecce to Santa Maria di Leuca, the property will become a hospitality structure for the travelers and hikers who intend to walk the Cammino del Salento or the Via Francigena del Sud.