Province of Barletta-Andria-Trani, Bonomo Foundation
Province: BAT Province
Address: Contrada Castel del Monte
Coordinates: 41°04’42.40’’N – 16°16’21.97’’E
Property: Bonomo Foundation
Tipology: Research Center
The Bonomo Foundation is a complex close to the historical Castel del Monte. It covers an area of 5,500 square meters, surrounded by tall trees and greenery. It consists of a compound of buildings, entirely built with materials excavated on site, and blended with the surroundings.
Some of these buildings date back to 1793, as they belonged to the Carafa dukes of Andria. They have been listed as cultural heritage by the Soprintendenza dei Beni Architettonici. Other buildings, on the other hand, were built in the 1960s in compliance with the constructive traditions of the area and in harmony with the existing buildings. The last ones concern the former Bonomo Research Center, which is the object of intervention of the TheRout_Net project. The total covered area of the buildings is 700 square meters. The Research Center’s objective is research and experimentation in agriculture as well as safeguarding the quality of fruit and vegetables in Southern Italy.
The headquarters of the Center was closed in 2011 and consisted of offices, services, laboratories for chemical, microbiological and instrumental analysis, in addition to about 1,500 square meters of technological laboratories. The building related to the project is Plexus B, built for hospitality uses.
Its refurbishment is expected to accommodate around 60 beds, a conference room and a regional research center for cultural itineraries, slow tourism and cultural tourism.